Tuesday 10 June 2014

Treat TB like HIV, say activists


KwaZulu-Natal health MEC Sibongiseni Dhlomo and Minister of Health Aaron Motsoaledi launch the GeneXpert TB detection machine at Prince Mshiyeni Hospital in Umlazi.

Tuberculosis is a national emergency, which the government needs to deal with urgently, say the activists that fought the government to provide treatment for HIV

Treatment Action Campaign, Section 27, and Médecins Sans Frontières are calling for civil society, which forced the government in 2002 to give antiretrovirals to HIV positive pregnant women, to now turn their attention to TB.

They are using the TB conference, which kicks off in Durban today, to raise the plight of the thousands of people who die of drug-resistant TB every year, because there is no medicine that works to cure them.
They also suggest that government set up war rooms in every province to improve treatment of TB as more than half the people who are diagnosed with drug resistant TB in the government don’t even start treatment.

Drug-resistant TB is on the rise in South Africa and has a cure rate of less than 40%. South Africa has the third highest number of drug resistant TB patients in the world.
"We have the policies and documents on how to treat TB, but what is missing is political will," said Section 27 Attorney John Stevens.

He said prisoners with TB are not being treated properly in prison, despite a 2012 Constitutional Court ruling that held the Department of Justice liable for a prisoner contracting TB in overcrowded Pollsmoor.
He said TB spreading in prisons affects all South Africans.
"The evidence we have shows prison is a breeding ground for drug-resistant TB."

A year ago, the government commited to rolling out GeneXpert testing machines that detect drug resistant TB in two hours to prisons.
"There are only machines in six prisons of the 240," complained Stevens.
Once diagnosed with an illness, he has heard of detainees, begging, bullying and bribing for HIV or TB medication. "I know a prisoner who has been HIV positive since 2005 and almost died last year, but was only put on treatment a few weeks ago."   TB prisoners also sturggle to get medication, he said.

He said many solutions to prevent the spread of TB in prison were simple such as opening windows, replacing doors with barred gates and giving prisoners more than an hour outside everyday.
Médecins Sans Frontières Doctor Jennifer Hughes who treats drug-resistant TB patients says many face stigma as it falsely believed they got the disease from not taking medicine.  Patients can contract the deadly resistant disease from sitting in a taxi or going to school.

One patient told her: "People still think you get drug-resistant TB because you are bad patient. They say you deserve to have drug-resistant TB. Everyone thinks I am bad person and that I have HIV. I  have never had TB before. I am HIV negative."

Source- The Times

5 comments:

  1. I am indeed very happy for my life; I never thought that I will live on earth before the year runs out. I have been suffering from a deadly disease (HIV) for the past 3 years now; I had spent a lot of money going from one places to another, from churches to churches,emailing spell casters, hospitals have been my every day residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until this faithful day, I was searching through the internet, I saw a testimony on how a spell caster helped someone in curing his HIV disease, quickly I copied his email which is dr.efosaspellhome@gmail.com just to give him a test
    I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to cast the spell which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after 5 days of casting the spell, I was free from the deadly disease, he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now, please brothers and sisters, he is great, I owe him in return if you need a prove,contact me on +447035905658 if you are having a similar problem just email him on dr.efosaspellhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. am from uk am here to give my testimony about how i got my hiv disease and how i flew it quickly after having trust on my spell doctor who cured me immediately .since the year i married to the man i didnt love because my parents false me to marry him.i have been enjoying relationship and sex life with him .he do spend time on work and dont have time for me . sometime he do sleep at his work and also do carry women because he has the money to spend but doesnt spend it on me . so i was so jealous to the extent that i cant control my anger and i decided to start cheating on him with exboyfriend . because my husband donot always be at home except on weeend .i have sex with him without protection .after somemonths been in love with my exboyfriend i was so sick and decided to go have a test and i found i was hiv positive . i feel so sad and i was ashamed because i didnt now how to open up to my husband i hate before my exboyfriend denied me and when my husband found out about what wads going on he devoirced me and i was ill for good 3years i went to many places for solution but there was no solution . so one day i was asing GOOGLE some question on how i can get a cure and how i can get some medication which i will be taking to my own suprise they brought one email out named drozallaspellhome@outlook.com that this powerful man can cure hiv i didnt believe about the cure before but i toke the email and search it on GOOGLE and found many good testimonies about him people have been giving more testimonies about him so i contacted him about my situation . he told me all the procedures which i will take and i did before i knew what was happening he called me and told me to go for an hiv test which i did and when the result was out i was hiv negative .thanks to drogodomigodo now as i am giving this testimony am fully settled down with my husband now and we love ourselves .i give this testimony for people around that was in my shoes so that they can also be cured like me .so if you also need a solution also you can email him at drozallaspellhome@outlook.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its a pleasure for me to write this testimony about this wonderful thing that happened to me last week on how i got my HIV aids cured, i have been reading so-many post of some people who were cured of HIV, but i never believed them, I was hurt and depressed so I was too curious and wanted to try Dr Ekpiku then i contacted him on his email on ekpikuspellhomeofgrace@gmail.com, when i contact him, he assured me 100% that he will heal me, i pleaded with him to help me out, its a great success that he healed just as he promised, he told me that in three days time that i should go and check on my HIV status, I was floored that when i went to the hospital to check of my status that i was HIV negative, i never thought possible that Dr Ekpiku can do miracles, i never really believed in magic but I played along with a little hope and and faith and after everything but Dr Ekpiku changed my life and made me a true believer you can contact him on ekpikuspellhomeofgrace@gmail.com or call +2347055029151 so he can help you out

    ReplyDelete



  4. Greetings to the general public, i want to inform the public how i was cured of HERPES Simplex Virus by a Doctor called Osas. i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on HERPES and i saw comment of people talking about how Doctor Osas cured them. I Was scared because i never believed in the Internet but i was convince to give him a try because i was having no hope of been cured of HERPES so i decided to contact him on his email that was listed on the comment (doctorosasherbalhome@gmail.com ) i searched his email on net and i saw a lot of people testifying about his goodness. when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriously worked for me, am a free person now without problem, my HERPES result came out negative. I pray for you Dr Osas God will give you everlasting life, you shall not die before your time for being a sincere and great man. Am so happy, you can also contact him if you have any problem Email: doctorosasherbalhome@gmail.com or contact his number via +2348112252378 or you can as well add him on whatsapp with same number



    DOCTOR OSAS CAN AS WELL CURE THE FOLLOWING DISEASE:-

    1. HIV/AIDS
    2. HERPES
    3. CANCER
    4. ALS

    ReplyDelete



  5. Greetings to the general public, i want to inform the public how i was cured of HERPES Simplex Virus by a Doctor called Osas. i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on HERPES and i saw comment of people talking about how Doctor Osas cured them. I Was scared because i never believed in the Internet but i was convince to give him a try because i was having no hope of been cured of HERPES so i decided to contact him on his email that was listed on the comment (doctorosasherbalhome@gmail.com ) i searched his email on net and i saw a lot of people testifying about his goodness. when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriously worked for me, am a free person now without problem, my HERPES result came out negative. I pray for you Dr Osas God will give you everlasting life, you shall not die before your time for being a sincere and great man. Am so happy, you can also contact him if you have any problem Email: doctorosasherbalhome@gmail.com or contact his number via +2348112252378 or you can as well add him on whatsapp with same number



    DOCTOR OSAS CAN AS WELL CURE THE FOLLOWING DISEASE:-

    1. HIV/AIDS
    2. HERPES
    3. CANCER
    4. ALS

    ReplyDelete