Thursday 31 October 2013

Lizha James, Channel O's leading lady

Lizha James
MSN: What are you looking forward to the most at this year's awards?
LJ: The Channel O Africa Music Video Awards have grown so much over the years and to think this is the sixth year that I'll be attending. I'm expecting a big surprise similar to the one I witnessed last year and I know I won't be disappointed. I also love the fact that the awards are strictly African, that makes them truly special. Not to mention that I have been nominated and am also performing.

MSN: From the four awards you've won, which was your favourite?
LJ: My favourite win was definitely the first one because we were so young. We were literally just kids shooting a music video with no formal training of any kind. When the video was nominated in four categories we weren't expecting it and it was so special when we won. Also that was the reason I continued with my career. The fact that an organisation as big as Channel O gave me the recognition was awesome, I will never forget that award.
MSN: Since you're the only female with a record, which African female artists inspire you?
LJ: In this day and age I'm not sure why there are still so many males dominating the industry but it also has a lot to do with the structure of the industry and unfortunately there just aren't as many women. There are a few fellow female colleagues who I'm happy to see are still around. They are the Namibian R&B duo Gal Level, Kenyan singer STL and Nigerian artist Waje. I'm always glad to see them at the awards.
MSN: Apart from your awards, what's been your biggest achievement so far?
LJ: My entire career is my biggest achievement. My songs have gained international exposure and are available in countries other than my home country, Mozambique. I regularly perform in places like Portugal, Angola and Cape Verde. I'm in the process of signing a contract with an international record label but I can't reveal much right now until the deal is sealed and things are official. I'm very happy with my career.
MSN: What, if anything, would you have done differently?
LJ: In this industry there's always something you wish you could've done better, especially when it comes to putting on a show, nothing is ever good enough. Our work is always in the critical eye and as a result I can't tell you how many times after my shows, I replay the performances in my head and wish I could've done certain things better. People praise me for my performances but I'm never completely satisfied.
MSN: How do you juggle your career with your personal life?
LJ: My husband is my manager so music is literally my life because it also resides in my home. My daughter is also my number one fan so that makes everything easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment