Friday 27 December 2013

Miley Cyrus: I Don’t Want to Glamorize Drug Use

Slow your roll, says Miley Cyrus of those who think she’s trying to promote drug use. Surprised? That’s understandable seeing as the 21-year-old pop icon’s most recent musical endeavors have featured much talk of molly and “everyone in line in the bathroom / trying to get a line in the bathroom.” Oh and she also lit up on stage that one time.

But all of her smoke-filled antics aside, Miley says she’s really not looking to make drugs enticing to young kids.
“There was a thing that Kurt Cobain said, something like, ‘There’s a special place in hell for people that glamorize drugs,’ and I never want to be that person that’s, like, talking to 16- and 17-year-olds and being like, ‘Smoke weed,” she tells The New York Times.
Part of her reasoning is Miley’s own role as a big sister to 13-year-old Noah. “I’ve got a little sister,” the Head Smiler continues. “I don’t want her to smoke weed.” But that’s not, Miley clarifies, “because I think weed is bad.” She just wants Noah to be old enough to make that choice on her own.
The same applies for how Miley presents herself to the world. “I don’t know how to not talk the way I talk,” she says. “I would rather have everything I do be 100 percent honest. I just want to be who I am.”
That’s why she’s so baffled when people take offense with what she’s done this year including that one number with Robin Thicke at the VMAs. “It’s actually really funny how many people could watch my performance, and they think it was, like, sexist and degrading to women, and somehow people found that it was racist, which I couldn’t even wrap my mind around.”
No matter what Miley says she just can’t win. “If I have white dancers, then I’m racist. If I have black girl dancers, then I’m racist. We know we’re not racist, and I know I’m not putting down women.” We’re glad to hear it, Miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment