Foreigners want plan for their safety In South Africa Aftermath Of Series of Attacks.
UNHAPPY CAMPERS: Children at the Isipingo Beach Sports Grounds, which has been turned into a camp for Africans who fled xenophobic violence in Durban last week Image by: TEBOGO LETSIE
This is despite reassurances from Home Affairs Minister Malusi Gigaba - who visited Isipingo, south of Durban, on Sunday - that the government would help them reintegrate.
Gigaba apologised to the community of about 300 mostly Congelese, Tanzanians, Burundians, Mozambicans and Malawians. But the sceptical foreigners want a detailed plan for their safety.
"All we are hearing is that there's a meeting [today] that seeks to return us to our homes and businesses," said Daniel Dunia, speaking for the foreigners. "As much as we want to go back and get on with our lives, it is difficult to go back when they are not telling us about the safety plans," he said.
The community of about 300 people took refuge at a police station on Monday last week following the outbreak of violence in Isipingo and Malukazi.
Their attackers, who had arrived in a minibus taxi, had allegedly chanted: "Awahambe amakwerekwere . inkosi ithe awabuyele emuva (The foreigners must go back to their countries . the king said so)."
"Amakwerekwere" is a derogatory word for people from other African countries.
Two weeks ago Zulu King Goodwill Zwelithini demanded that foreigners pack their bags. He has denied making the inflammatory comments, despite proof that he did.